Civil Unit

The Sheriff's Office Civil unit is responsible for document service & enforcing court orders issued by the courts, including but not limited to: writs of execution (real and personal property sales), evictions, restraining orders, small claims, divorce and custody papers, criminal and civil subpoenas, writs of garnishments, and various other court orders and documents. Civil unit personnel are trained in civil process to ensure that court orders are processed in accordance with Oregon law and the Oregon Rules of Civil Procedure. After the papers have been received and processed in the office, they are sent out in the field for attempted service by a civil deputy. 

This office only serves at locations that are within the County of Umatilla, which includes inside the city of Adams, Athena, Echo, Helix, Hermiston, Milton-Freewater, Pendleton, Pilot Rock, Stanfield, Ukiah, Umatilla, and Weston.

Documents can be delivered to our office in person or by mail.

4700 NW Pioneer Place, Pendleton
915 SE Columbia Dr., Hermiston (this office is not always open during the week)

Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Civil Unit
4700 NW Pioneer Place
Pendleton, OR 97801


  • Service Instructions to Sheriff Form (or equivalent instruction information)
  • Self-Addressed stamped envelope (for returning a copy of the Proof of Service)
  • Appropriate fee in the form of money order, check or cashier’s check only


There is usually a fee charged to process and serve civil papers. The fees are set by both Oregon State Law and County ordinance (see Oregon Revised Statues 21.300). If you have questions, please feel free to contact our office. MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO U.C.S.O. (Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office).

Click to view the Current Fee Schedule


Frequently Asked Questions

It depends on the type of papers , the current volume of active papers the Civil Deputies are working on, and the accuracy of information provided and the cooperation of person being served. We will make attempt(s) until the papers are served, or until we can show the person is not serviceable, or the date on the paper(s) expires.

No. Fees are paid to the Sheriff’s Office for processing paperwork and attempting service. In almost all instances several attempts are made if the person to be served is not contacted on the first attempt

For most type of paperwork, we will mail out a copy of the return of service to you. You can call our office to find out status, however because papers may still be active in the field with a Deputy, we might not be able to provide the most current status over the phone.

Protection Orders are obtained through the Circuit Court. Information and forms can be found on the Oregon State Court Website. There is no fee to apply for a Protection Order.  We have two circuit courts in Umatilla County located at 216 SE 4th St, Pendleton and 915 SE Columbia Dr, Hermiston

There are different kinds of Protection Orders. Protection Orders are obtained through the Circuit Court. Information and forms can be found on the Oregon State Court Website. There is no fee to apply for a Protection Order. 

Protection Orders are the first priority in service documents at the Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office. However it may take anywhere from one day to several weeks to serve a respondent depending on how good the information is, the availability of a deputy and whether or not the respondent is avoiding service. We must be provided a known location in order to attempt service. Call our office if you have questions. 

If your contact number or a message phone is provided, our deputy will call to notify you when the order has been served. A message will be left if no one answers and voice mail is available. We are unable to continue calling if unable to reach you with the first attempt. You can also call our office to check status.

To top