Victim Assistance Program

What is the Victim Assistance Program?

If you are a crime victim, The Victim Assistance Program within the Umatilla County District Attorney's Office has advocates who are trained to help you navigate the criminal justice system.  Advocates assist victims as their case moves through the court process, by providing information about resources & services available within our community, educating victims about their rights and to advocate for the enforcement of their rights and providing support throughout the criminal justice process.  The Victim Assistance Program (VAP) recognizes that crime victims have certain rights, including the right to be treated with dignity, respect and to receive fair and impartial treatment.  

For further information and assistance call: 541-278-6265 or email:


Mission Statement

The mission of the Victim Assistance Program is to improve the treatment of all victims of crime. We aim to provide victims with the assistance and services necessary to speed their recovery after a criminal act. The Victim Assistance Program provides resources and information to promote victim participation in the criminal justice system, including educating victims about their rights, advocating for the enforcement of those rights, and coordinating with other community agencies to ensure continuity of support.

The following services are available at no cost:

Advocates assigned to cases assist with the following:

  • Referrals to community resources and service providers.
  • Information about Victims' Rights.
  • Notification of court proceedings and case status information. 
  • Accompaniment to court and preparation for court hearings. 
  • Verify and documentation of financial losses for restitution requests.
  • Assist in the return of property held by the police agency or court.
  • Assist with scheduling conflicts, emergency and transportation problems.
  • Assistance in registering with VINE and with the application process for State of Oregon Crime Victims’ Compensation benefits.
  • Safety planning and information on where to obtain protection orders. 

**The Victim Assistance Program does not provide financial assistance or offer legal advice** 

Crime Victims’ Compensation

What happens if the victim suffers injuries and does not have the ability to pay medical bills? 

Oregon Crime Victims’ Compensation (CVC) Program was created to assist victims of a violent crime with expenses associated with the crime. This includes domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, robbery, (CVC cannot replace items that were stolen during the robbery), assault, homicide, or other compensable crimes resulting in a physical or psychological injury. In the aftermath of a crime, the CVC works to ease the financial burden suffered by hundreds of Oregonians each year. 

*CVC is unable to provide immediate financial assistance.  CVC cannot reimburse damages for property crimes, or pay for relocation costs.

Before Applying, the VAP recommends you contact an Advocate to assist with the application process.  To apply for compensation or to learn more  visit: or contact the Victim Assistance Program at: 541-278-6265 or email: 


Victims are innocent people who suffer harm when someone else breaks the law. It is essential for a victim to recognize that he or she is not at fault.
Find someone who is willing to listen. Victims usually do not need advice, but rather just someone with whom to talk.
There are times when the healing process requires help from a professional. Clergy, counselors, therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists may be valuable help.
Certain aspects of the system may be exasperating. Be prepared for multiple delays, changes in court dates, and other unexpected events that can, and often do, occur. The legal system can be frustrating in its attempt to blindly administer justice, a goal of ultimate importance. The process is dynamic and unfamiliar to all but those who have studied the justice system for years, the system seeks to protect everyone and will accept no compromise in its efforts to be fair and to apply the rule of law, as justice requires.



Oregon’s Laws and Constitution recognize that every crime victim in Oregon has legal rights. Many of these rights go into effect automatically, while others must be requested. A crime victim, their attorney or the District Attorney may assert and enforce these rights on their behalf. This web page is provided to generally assist victims and should not be considered an exhaustive compilation of all rights, responsibilities, or services. For more information regarding crime victims rights please visit or

Adult Crime Victims’ Automatic Rights

 Include the right to:

  • be notified of your rights as soon as practicable.
  • have a personal representative or support person with you.
  • attend any open court proceeding.
  • speak at a release hearing or sentencing.
  • prompt restitution.
  • protect your personal identifiers from the defendant.
  • obtain a copy of a transcript or recording of open court proceedings if one is already made.
  • refuse to speak to an attorney or private investigator for the defendant.

Rights that must be requested to be exercised include the right to:

  • be informed in advance of any critical stage of the proceedings held in open court when the defendant will be present. In Oregon law “critical stages” are defined in the adult criminal justice system by ORS 147.500(5) ».
  • get information about the conviction, sentence, imprisonment, criminal history and future release from physical custody of the criminal defendant or convicted criminal.
  • be consulted by the district attorney about plea negotiations and the final plea agreement in a violent felony case.
  • be notified when the convicted person is released from prison.
  • test the offender for HIV and other communicable diseases if the crime involved the transmission of body fluids.
  • limit copying or disseminating information about, or recording of, a sexually explicit act in a case that involves a sexual offense.
  • deny televised, photographed or recorded coverage of sex offense proceedings.
  • receive information given to the defendant in a DUII automobile collision case.
  • ongoing involvement in any court actions that happen after the conviction such as appeal, post-conviction or federal habeas proceedings, for person crimes and burglary in the first degree only.

Many other rights may apply. For a general overview, please review the Victims’ Rights Guide », available in several languages.

For assistance, please contact The Victim Assistance Program at: 541-278-6265 or the Oregon Department of Justice (DOJ) at: 503-378-5348.

Victims’ Rights, Post-Conviction

To request certain rights after a criminal conviction, crime victims must provide their contact information to:

  • the county’s community corrections agency if the offender is supervised locally (on probation).
  • the Oregon Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision (503-945-0907) if the offender is incarcerated in the state prison system.
  • The Oregon Psychiatric Security Review Board (503-229-5596) or the State Hospital Review Panel (503-945-2800) if the offender is found Guilty Except for Insanity (GEI).

VINE (Victim Information Notification Everyday) gives crime victims 24-hour access to information about adult offenders in custody and youth offenders in Oregon Youth Authority facilities. The custody information in adult cases includes:

  • the location of custody
  • changes in parole or probation status
  • release information
  • transfer information
  • notification of escape(s)
  • notification of death

Requesting Notifications

Crime victims must register with VINE to receive notifications. You can access VINE by calling 1-877-674-8463 or by visiting ».

To be notified when someone in the custody of the Department of Corrections is scheduled to be released, contact Victim Services for the Oregon Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision at 503-945-0907.

To be notified 30 days in advance of Parole Board hearings, contact Victim Services for the Oregon Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision at 503-945-0907.

If the defendant is under the authority of the Psychiatric Security Review Board (PSRB) or the State Hospital Review Panel (SHRP), crime victims may be notified in advance of hearings or when the defendant is released, discharged or escapes by contacting the PSRB at 503-229-5596 or the SHRP at 503-945-2800. To be notified as soon as possible of an escape, contact the facility where the defendant is committed.

Crime victims can request information about registered sex offenders by calling the Oregon State Police Sex Offender Information line at 503-934-1258.

After conviction, confirm that you are signed up to receive the Oregon DOJ’s Post-Conviction Program services for any ongoing legal actions at 503-378-4284 or

If your rights are not honored, you can assert a claim of violation of crime victims’ rights. There are time limits for this right. For more information, contact Crime Victim and Survivor Services Division.