• Pendleton

    200 SE. Third St.
    541-278-5432 TTY 800-735-2900
    Hours:Mon-Fri 8am-5pm

  • Hermiston

    435 E. Newport St.
    Hours: Wed-Fri 8am-5pm

Email US health@umatillacounty.net


Catch us on Facebook

What to do when your water source is flooded

Download handout in English
Download handout in Spanish

Who are we?

Environmental Health works in partnership with the food service industry and the public to reduce or eliminate the known causes of food borne illness.


Flood resources

  1. How to disinfect your drinking water well after a flood event
  2. How to care for your Septic System after a flood event
  3. Homeowner's and Renter's guide to mold cleanup after disasters

Onsite Sewage Treatment System

  1. UCO Health issues septic system permits for households that are not served by public sewer. These households usually depend on septic systems to treat and dispose of wastewater.

    UCO Health is also responsible for conducting inspections on these systems to ensure that they are installed properly to provide adequate treatment and prevent sewage exposure to the public.

    A septic system is the most common method of sewage treatment for homes and businesses that are not connected to an area wide sewage system. In its basic form, a septic system consists of a septic tank, where solids settle and decompose, and a drainfield where liquid discharged from the tank is treated by bacteria in the soil. More information can be found at Oregon Septic Smart.

  2. Site Evaluation Packet Site evaluation packet is used for the determination of site suitability for a new on-site septic system.
  3. Construction Permit Packet
  4. Repair & Alteration Permit Packet
  5. Authorization Notice & Existing System Report Packet

Temporary Restaurant License Information

  1. Temporary Restaurant Application Form
  2. Temporary Restaurant Setup and Guidelines
  3. Benevolent Organizations
  4. Temporary Hand Washing Station
  5. Temporary Hand Wash Station-Español
  6. Proper Dishwashing Station
  7. Information about Intermittent and Seasonal Permits

What is a Temporary Restaurant?

  1. Each person or organization that wishes to sell or give out food to the general public during a special event is required by Oregon law to obtain a temporary restaurant license. Every food booth must apply for a separate license for every event where food is served.

    This applies to any establishment operating temporarily in connection with any event where food is prepared or served to the public. Examples are:
    Farmers markets
    Flea markets

Restaurant and Bed and Breakfast

  1. All restaurants and food establishments must obtain a license and pass health inspections to assure that the establishment meets food sanitation standards. This applies to all restaurants and also bed and breakfasts.
    You must obtain a license and a plan review before:
    • Opening a new restaurant
    • Remodeling a restaurant
    Please contact us if:
    • There is a change in ownership
    • Changes are made to the menu items

  2. Food Service Plan Review Packet

Food Sanitation rules

  1. Food Sanitation Rules
  2. Click here for Fact Sheets and to learn more information regarding food sanitation rules from Oregon Health Authority

Laws Regarding Food Services

  1. Oregon Health Authority: Forms, Rules & Guidelines

Tourist Facility

  1. All hotels, motels and bed and breakfast establishments must be licensed. They also must pass regular health inspections. This applies to any establishments that have sleeping facilities that are to be rented on a daily or weekly basis to travelers or transients for a charge or fee paid for rental or use of facility.
  2. Tourist Application
  3. Travelers' Accommodation Rules
  4. Hotel Food License Flow Chart

Mobile Unit Information

  1. A mobile food unit is any vehicle that is self-propelled, or can be pulled or pushed down a sidewalk, street or highway. Food may be prepared on this vehicle, and the vehicle is used to sell and dispense food to the public.
    • Mobile units must be mobile at all times during operation. The unit must be on wheels.
    • The unit, all operations and the equipment must be integral to the unit.

  2. Mobile Unit Plan Review Packet
  3. Mobile Unit Playbook (From Multnomah County)
  4. Mobile Unit Playbook (From Multnomah County) - Español

Pools and Spas

  1. All public swimming pools and spas must be licensed and pass regular health inspections. This applies to all public pools, spas, wading pools, and similar water recreation sites.

    You must obtain a plan review and license before:
    • Building a new public pool or spa
    • Remodeling a public pool or spa
    Please contact us prior to changing any of the following:
    • Pump
    • Filter
    • Heater
    • Disinfection device.
    Facilities are considered public if they are:
    • Associated with more than 4 housing units (including apartments, condo associations and neighborhood associations)
    • Private clubs
    • Fitness clubs
    • Hotels
    • Motels
    • Schools
    • Commercial concerns or parks
    • Recreation departments
    Types of public pool facilities include:
    • General use - any member of the general public can pay at the door.
    • Limited use - membership, or member guest status, is required for use.

  2. Pool Rules
  3. Pool&Spa Application
  4. Application for Permit to Construct/Alter Pool or Spa
  5. Public Swimming Pool Daily Record Sheet
  6. CPO Training Dates

Pool Accidents:

  1. Pool Accident Report Form
  2. Fecal Incident Response(pdf)
  3. Cleaning Up Body Fluid Spills on Pool Surfaces


Food Handler's Cards

You may obtain a food handlers' card, one of the following ways

1. At a Public Health Office

Pendleton Public Health
200 SE 3'd st.
Pendleton, OR 97801
Hermiston Public Health
435 E. Newport
Hermiston, OR 97838
Heppner Public Health
120 South Main
Heppner, OR 97836
Boardman Public Health
101 Boardman Ave.
Boardman, OR 97818

Online at www.orfoodhandlers.com

3. Schedule your private class with an Environmental Health Specialist, if you have 10 or more people.

If you have any questions please call us (541) 278-6394


Food Handlers Booklets

Download the Complete Training Manual (pdf)
In English
In Spanish

Download Instructions:
To Save: Right click the link and Select "Save Target [Link] As..."
To View and Print file: Left click the link and Select "File -- Print" from your browser.

La Seguridad en los Alimentos que Ingerimos Manual de Auto-Capacitación (pdf) (639K)

What does Environmental Health do?


Why We're Here:

The food prepared for and served to the public can be a vehicle for the transmission of a variety of communicable diseases. For many, food borne illness results only in discomfort or lost time from work. But for some, especially preschool age children, older adults and those with impaired immune systems, food borne illness is more serious and may be life threatening. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 76 million people experience food borne illness and 5,000 deaths occur in the United States each year.

Research by the CDC has consistently shown that most food borne illness outbreaks are caused by mishandling food and occur within the retail segment of the food industry (restaurants, markets, schools, churches, camps, institutions, and vending locations), where ready-to-eat food is prepared and provided to the public for consumption.


If you suspect you have food borne illness, or have questions about food safety and inspections contact us at 541-278-6394


Contact Us

If you suspect you have food borne illness, or have questions about food safety and inspections contact us at

Food Handler Test

Food service workers are required to obtain a food handler card within 30 days of beginning work. The cost of the card is $10.00 and the card is valid for three years. Food handler cards issued in any county are valid throughout Oregon. If you have a valid food manager-training certificate, it is accepted in lieu of a food handler card. Food handler cards issued in other states are not valid in Oregon. Open book tests given in your local Health Offices: Call for information:



541- 676-5421