Service of Civil Process

This office serves process and enforces orders at locations that are within the County of Umatilla only, which also includes inside the city limits of Adams, Athena, Echo, Helix, Hermiston, Milton-Freewater, Pendleton, Pilot Rock, Stanfield, Ukiah, Umatilla, and Weston.

    • Documents can be delivered to our office in person or by mail.

4700 NW Pioneer Place, Pendleton
915 SE Columbia Dr., Hermiston

Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Civil Division
4700 NW Pioneer Place
Pendleton, OR 97801

    • Include the following with your documents:
    Instructions to Sheriff Form (or equivalent information) Self-Addressed stamped envelope (for returning a copy of the Proof of Service) Appropriate fee in form of money order, check or cashier’s check.

Service Fees

There is usually a fee charged to process and serve civil papers. The fees are set by both Oregon State Law and County ordinance (see Oregon Revised Statues 21.300). If you have questions, please feel free to contact our office. MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO U.C.S.O. (Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office).

Current Fee Schedule

Frequently Asked Question

How long before my papers are served?
It depends on the type of papers , the current volume of active papers the Civil Deputies are working on, and the accuracy of information provided. We will make attempt(s) until the papers are served, or until we can show the person is not serviceable, or the date on the paper(s) expires.

Will I be refunded any money if my papers are not served?
No. Fees are paid to the Sheriff’s Office for processing paperwork and attempting service. In almost all instances several attempts are made if the person to be served is not contacted on the first attempt.

How will I be notified when my papers are served?
For most type of paperwork, we will mail out a copy of the return of service to you. You can call our office to find out status, however because papers may still be active in the field with a Deputy, we might not be able to provide the most current status over the phone.

Where do I obtain a Restraining Order?
Restraining Orders are obtained through Circuit Courts. The phone number for Umatilla County Circuit Court is (541) 278-0341.

How do I qualify for a Restraining Order and what are the criteria?
This information can be obtained by calling the court.

When will my Restraining Order be served?
Restraining Orders are the first priority in service documents at the Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office. However it may take anywhere from one day to several weeks to serve a respondent depending on how good the information is, the availability of a deputy and whether or not the respondent is avoiding service.

Will I be notified if my Restraining Order is served?
If your contact number or a message phone is provided, our deputy will call to notify you once the restraining order has been served. A message will be left if no one answers and voice mail is available. We are unable to continue calling if unable to reach you with the first attempt. You can also call our office to check status.

I don’t qualify for a restraining order, can I get a stalking order?
If you do not meet the criteria for a restraining order, you may be able to obtain a stalking protective order. “Stalking” is defined in Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 163.730 to 163.732. Keywords in the definition are “repeated” and “unwanted contact”. “Repeated” means two or more times. If you believe you are a victim of a stalking, contact the law enforcement agency where the stalking is taking place.

Where can I get legal assistance?
• Lawyer Referral Service, Phone Number: 1-800-452-7636
• Tel-Law Program, Phone Number: 1-800-452-4776 or
• Public Library
• The yellow pages under “attorney”
• Book stores, specifically in the Law/Social Science Section
• Law Libraries located at any Courthouse or University
• Oregon Revised Statues
• Legal Aid Services of Oregon, 365 SE 3rd St, Pendleton, Oregon 97801. (541) 276-6685