Service of Civil Process
This office serves process and enforces orders at locations that are within the County of Umatilla only, which also includes inside the city limits of Adams, Athena, Echo, Helix, Hermiston, Milton-Freewater, Pendleton, Pilot Rock, Stanfield, Ukiah, Umatilla, and Weston.
- Documents can be delivered to our office in person or by mail.
DELIVER IN PERSON
4700 NW Pioneer Place, Pendleton
915 SE Columbia Dr., Hermiston
Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Civil Division
4700 NW Pioneer Place
Pendleton, OR 97801
- Provide with your documents: A cover letter providing any information you have that may assist in locating the person(s) to be served and a self-addressed stamped envelope for returning a copy of the Sheriff’s proof of service. Helpful information includes:
- Full Name of person to be served
- Other names used (nicknames, maiden names, etc.)
- Home Address (physical address, not PO Box)
- Date of Birth
- Physical Description
- Place of Employment (Business name and Address - including city)
- Hours worked
- Vehicle Descriptions (including color)
- Provide your contact information: including name, mailing address and phone number so that you can be reached if we have additional questions.
- Enclose the appropriate fee if required. Check, money order or cashier’s check.
There is usually a fee charged to process and serve civil papers. A general fee schedule is provided below. The fees are set by both Oregon State Law and County ordinance (see Oregon Revised Statutes 21.410). If you have questions, please feel free to contact our office. MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO U.C.S.O. (Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office)
• Notice Process
(Service such as summons & complaint, divorce or custody papers, small claims, orders, F.E.D. or notice of restitution for evictions, also including notice of seizure and sale of personal or real property, and writ of executions, etc.)
The fee is $36.00 for not more than two parties at the same address, if more than two then $20.00 for each party at the same address.
|2 People @ same address
|2 People @ 2 separate addresses
||$72.00 (36.00 each)
|3 People @ same address
||$60.00 ($20.00 each)
|4 People @ same address
NOTE: In Forcible Entry and (F.E.D.) or eviction process, Et. Al. (or all others) counts as 1 person. Each listed defendant counts as one person being served at the residence. Example: The fee for Jane Doe, John Doe, and Et. Al. would be $60.00 because 3 services are required.
• Writ of Garnishment……. $25.00 *include a $10.00 search fee check payable to the financial institution if serving a bank or other financial institution.
• Order of Assistance……. $70.00
• Criminal Subpoena……... No Charge
• Restraining Order……..... No Charge
• Writ of Execution……..... $500.00 deposit up front (Fee varies - subject to additional fees such as storage, moving company, boarding, etc. depending on what the writ & letter of instructions direct the Sheriff to do. Publication fees for sales are not included; the newspaper determines this amount and must be received by the Sheriff before authorization to publish is given. Additional fees for actual cost of postage and copy apply to most executions).
• Service/Enforcement of a Writ of Execution of Judgment of Restitution or Eviction (Move Out)
|1 or 2 tenants
||$106.00 ($70.00 + $36.00)
||$130.00 ($70.00 + $20.00 + $20.00 + $20.00)
|| $150 ($70.00 + ($20.00 x 4))
• For a conveyance of real property sold on any process (deed).... $30.00
• County Policy: Section 39.724 Seizure and sale of property: Additional charge of $60/hour for any services beyond initial first hour.
If you do not see the fee you are searching for or you have further questions please contact the Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office Civil Division.
Frequently Asked Question
How long before my papers are served?
It depends on the type of papers , the current volume of active papers the Civil Deputies are working on, and the accuracy of information provided. We will make attempt(s) until the papers are served, or until we can show the person is not serviceable, or the date on the paper(s) expires.
Will I be refunded any money if my papers are not served?
No. Fees are paid to the Sheriff’s Office for processing paperwork and attempting service. In almost all instances several attempts are made if the person to be served is not contacted on the first attempt.
How will I be notified when my papers are served?
For most type of paperwork, we will mail out a copy of the return of service to you. You can call our office to find out status, however because papers may still be active in the field with a Deputy, we might not be able to provide the most current status over the phone.
Where do I obtain a Restraining Order?
Restraining Orders are obtained through Circuit Courts. The phone number for Umatilla County Circuit Court is (541) 278-0341.
How do I qualify for a Restraining Order and what are the criteria?
This information can be obtained by calling the court.
When will my Restraining Order be served?
Restraining Orders are the first priority in service documents at the Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office. However it may take anywhere from one day to several weeks to serve a respondent depending on how good the information is, the availability of a deputy and whether or not the respondent is avoiding service.
Will I be notified if my Restraining Order is served?
If your contact number or a message phone is provided, our deputy will call to notify you once the restraining order has been served. A message will be left if no one answers and voice mail is available. We are unable to continue calling if unable to reach you with the first attempt. You can also call our office to check status.
I don’t qualify for a restraining order, can I get a stalking order?
If you do not meet the criteria for a restraining order, you may be able to obtain a stalking protective order. “Stalking” is defined in Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 163.730 to 163.732. Keywords in the definition are “repeated” and “unwanted contact”. “Repeated” means two or more times. If you believe you are a victim of a stalking, contact the law enforcement agency where the stalking is taking place.
Where can I get legal assistance?
• Lawyer Referral Service, Phone Number: 1-800-452-7636
• Tel-Law Program, Phone Number: 1-800-452-4776 or www.osbar.org
• Public Library
• The yellow pages under “attorney”
• Book stores, specifically in the Law/Social Science Section
• Law Libraries located at any Courthouse or University
• Oregon Revised Statues www.leg.state.or.us/ors/
• Legal Aid Services of Oregon, 365 SE 3rd St, Pendleton, Oregon 97801. (541) 276-6685