The following information is a general guideline regarding the procedures and requirements for becoming an Oregon concealed handgun license holder issued out of Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office. Oregon laws governing the issuance and denial of concealed handgun licenses can be found beginning in Chapter 166.291 of the Oregon Revised Statutes. Click here to download a Concealed Handgun License Application and Instructions.


    Before an application for a concealed handgun license can be accepted, you must show completion of a training course in which handgun safety was a component of the course.  You may meet this requirement by providing any one of the following;
    • A certificate of completion of any handgun safety course utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency.
    • Documentation of completion of handgun safety training offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officer or any other law enforcement officers.
    • Documentation of completion of a hunter education course involving handgun safety approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or similar agency of another state.
    • Documented evidence of experience with handguns through participation in organized shooting competition or military service.

    A Concealed Handgun License Handgun Safety Class is available online through Oregon State Sheriff’s Association by clicking on the following link: . This class has been created and reviewed by members of the Oregon Law Enforcement and Concealed Handgun License community. The class meets the statutory requirement for the Concealed Handgun License defined in ORS 166.291 (C). The class is available to all persons as an education tool free of charge. For those interested in providing proof of handgun safety training to apply for the Oregon Concealed Handgun License, the course provides a certificate for a fee.


    To qualify for a concealed handgun license you must:
    • Be at least 21 year of age
    • Be a resident of Umatilla County (This may be waived for residents bordering states with a compelling business interest or legitimate demonstrated need)
    • Be a US Citizen or have proof of application with intent to become a citizen
    • Never have been convicted of a felony
    • Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor within the last four years
    • Not be a registered sex offender
    • Not be free on any form of pre-trial release
    • Have no outstanding warrant for arrest
    • Not be subject to a stalking order or restraining order as defined in ORS
    • Not have been convicted of a drug offense (although exceptions apply)
    • Provide acceptable documentation of handgun safety training
    • Pass a background investigation including mental health inquiry
    • Pay appropriate fees and provide acceptable I.D. and other documentation

Additionally Oregon State Law states a sheriff may deny a concealed handgun license if the sheriff has reasonable grounds to believe that the applicant has been or is reasonably likely to be a danger to self or others, or to the community at large, as a result of the applicant’s mental or psychological state or as demonstrated by the applicant’s past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence. Also any act or condition that would prevent the issuance of a concealed handgun license is cause for revoking a concealed handgun license.


To schedule an appointment for a NEW Oregon Concealed Handgun License, use our online calendar click below:
Before Scheduling, review the instructions below. **ATTENTION** Due to COVID 19, as of June 1, 2020 we begin accepting Renewals by mail only. Review the following instructions before scheduling an appointment or sending any paperwork to us. YOU MUST SUBMIT THE CORRECT APPLICATION and DOCUMENTATION OR IT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

Make an Online Appointment

NEW: Applications for NEW Oregon Concealed Handgun Licenses are taken by appointment only and you must report in person. The Fee is $65. At the time of appointment the applicant must submit a completed application for a NEW Oregon Concealed Handgun license. The applicant will be photographed and fingerprinted, and must provide the necessary documentation as instructed by the application.Click here to download a NEW Concealed Handgun License Application and Instructions. Do NOT use this application to renew a current or expired license, instead see below. If your license was revoked, use the NEW application form.

RENEWAL: If you have a current or an expired Oregon Concealed Handgun License, applicants must use our CHL Renewal Application to apply. Due to COVID 19, beginning June 1, 2020 we will begin accepting ALL Renewal applications in the mail only. The Fee is $50. The Renewal procedure for an expired CHL, regardless of the date of expiration, is the same. If your CHL has expired, you do not have to retake handgun safety training. Click here to download a RENEWAL Application for an Oregon Concealed Handgun License and Instructions. Note: If your license was revoked, you must apply using the NEW applicant form, DO NOT use the Renewal Application.

OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS: ** Attention NEW and RENEWAL applicants ** If you are applying as an out of state applicant, a Residency Waiver Request Form MUST be filled out and attached to your application EVERY time you apply. A previously issued CHL does not guarantee a waiver for a renewal. Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office requirements have changed. This form will be used to see if you will be considered for a waiver. DO NOT submit this form alone, it must be attached to your NEW or RENEWAL application.

TRANSFER: If have a current Oregon CHL issued by another Sheriff's Office and have recently moved to Umatilla County, you can submit an application by mail to transfer your CHL to Umatilla County Sheriff's Office. Please change your address with DMV first. The fee for transfer is $15. Click here to download a CHL Transfer Application form. DO NOT use this form if your CHL has expired, instead use the RENEWAL form. NOTE: If you are transferring from Umatilla County to another County, please contact that specific agency and inquire about their procedures.

ADDRESS CHANGE: If you have a current Oregon CHL issued by Umatilla County Sheriff's Office and have moved within Umatilla County you can notify us by mailing us a CHL Address Change form. Please change your DMV information first. The fee for address change is $15. Click here to download a CHL Address Change form. If you have a current CHL that was issued to you by Umatilla County Sheriff's Office as an out of state residence, you can also use this form, however you must still live within a state that borders Oregon. If you moved to another county in oregon, see the Transfer section above.

NAME CHANGE: If you have a current Oregon CHL issued by Umatilla County Sheriff's Office and have changed your name, you can notify us by mailing us a CHL Name Change form. Please change your DMV information first. The fee for name change is $15. Click here to download a CHL Name Change Form.

DUPLICATE: If you need to replace a lost or stolen current Oregon CHL issued by Umatilla County Sheriff's Office, you can request a replacement card by mailing us a completed CHL Duplicate form. The fee is $15. Click here to download a CHL Duplicate form.CHL Duplicate Form to our office.

To schedule an appointment using our online calendar click here:
Make an Online Appointment


    Federal Law 18 U.S.C δ 922(g) in brief, prohibits possession of any firearm or ammunition by anyone who:
    • Has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year
    • Who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
    • Who is subject to a court order restraining the person from harassing, stalking or threatening an intimate partner or child of an intimate partner
    • Who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence


Oregon law provides a few limits on where a person with a Concealed Handgun License can carry a firearm, and federal law contains a few more prohibitions. Be aware that even if you have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License, you cannot carry a firearm on any of the following properties in Oregon:
  • Federal Facilities: The term “Federal Facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties. Examples include: federal courthouses, social security offices, federal post offices, and recruiting offices. 18 US 930
  • Airports: Past security checkpoint in airports. For questions regarding firearms in luggage, contact the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) or the airline you are traveling with.
  • Tribal Reservations or Tribal Property: The Tribal Council overseas the regulations on reservations, therefore firearm restrictions may vary greatly from reservation to reservation. Often you may not carry a firearm concealed without written permission by the Tribal Council. This also applies to casinos operated by tribes. For Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, contact the Tribal Police for more information at 541-278-0550.
  • Court Facilities: You may not carry in a court facility, which is defined as any building occupied by a circuit court, the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court or the Oregon Tax Court. This applies to the entire facility, not just areas adjacent to the courtrooms, including any area that may temporarily be set up as a court.

    You may be barred from entering a “local court facility” if the judge entered an order prohibiting firearms. A local court facility means the portion of a building in which a justice court, a municipal court, a probate court or a juvenile court conducts business. Intentional violation of this law is a Class C Felony. ORS 166.360 and ORS 166.370(s)(a) (the link applies to both ORS provided)

  • National Forests or Wilderness Areas with specific order in effect: Persons with a valid Oregon concealed handgun license may carry their weapon onto National Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management land UNLESS there is a specific order issued by the local administrator or forest ranger to the contrary. It is the CHL holder’s responsibility to check on restrictions where you plan to visit. Restrictions are generally put into effect during festivals or large gatherings, or at popular recreation areas where there are safety concerns. Be aware that any Ranger Station or Visitors Center in any National Forest could be considered a Federal Building, making it illegal to carry there.
  • Private property, business or facility where the owner prohibits firearm possession: Just as person can prohibit you from possession of a firearm in their home, they can also prohibit firearms from their privately owned business. Some examples include: bars, nightclubs, stores, restaurants and movie theatres. If you are told to leave, you must do so, even if you have a CHL. If you remove your firearm and they still want you to leave, you must do so. If you don’t leave, you may be subject to arrest for Trespass.


    • Q. How do I apply for an Oregon Concealed Handgun license?
    • A.
      • 1) Make sure that you meet the handgun competency requirements (see Handgun Safety Training section above). If you do not have documentation of training that meets the listed requirements, then you must complete training prior to applying.
      • 2) Review the Procedures Section above (including the Application and Instructions) for details regarding other required documentation, I.D. and fees.
      • 3) Once you have all your paperwork and identification together, follow the instructions above. NEW applications must have a an appointment, renewals are by mail only. You can schedule an appointment using our online calendar button listed at the top of this webpage, or call our office number on the application.  
      • 4) If you are unable to download an application from online, please call our office and we would be happy to mail you one.
    • Q. How much does a concealed handgun license cost?
    • A.$65 is the fee to apply for a new CHL. See the Procedures Section above for detailed fees and procedures.

    • Q. Where can I take a class to meet the requirements for a concealed handgun license?
    • A. Review the Handgun Safety Training section above to see the type of training that meets State Law requirements, and then look for an instructor that matches the requirements. Instructors often advertise in newspapers, with local gun dealers, and with gun clubs etc. Some community colleges also offer classes.

    • Q. Does Umatilla County Sheriff’s office accept Out of State applicants?
    • A. Yes, Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office does accept applications from out of state residents that live in states that border Oregon. Oregon Law states that sheriff may waive the residency requirements for a resident of a contiguous state that has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. As an out of state applicant you must attach a Residency Waiver Request Form to your CHL application. A copy of the form is available in the procedures section above. Please read this form carefully before deciding whether you want to apply as an out of state resident. See Procedures section above for New, Renewing and Out of State Applicants.

    • Q. Where is your office located?
    • A.We are located at the main sheriff's office in Pendleton.The address is 4700 NW Pioneer Place, Pendleton, Oregon.
    • Q. What are the hours of operation for the Concealed Handgun License Unit?
    • A.Our office schedules Concealed Handgun License appointments Monday through Friday from 9am to 4:30pm. See the procedures above to see if you need an appointment.

    • Q. How long does it take to get my new CHL?
    • A.Upon approval, your CHL will be mailed to you within approximately 45 days.

    • Q. How long is my license valid?
    • A.Your concealed handgun license is valid for four years from date of issue. However, an arrest or involvement in criminal activity may be a cause for revocation.

    • Q. Is my Umatilla County issued Concealed Handgun License good for the entire state of Oregon or just Umatilla County?
    • A.The CHL is good for the entire State of Oregon.

    • Q. If I change my address do I need to contact anyone?
    • A.Yes. You are required to complete a change of address form. See Address Change under the Procedures section on this website for more details.

    • Q. Where can I read the Oregon concealed handgun law?
    • A. Oregon Revised Statutes regarding Concealed Handgun License start at ORS 166.291 and are available online at

    • Q. Where can I not carry a firearm even with a concealed handgun license?
    • A. See the section above labeled Places Concealed Handgun license Holders May Not Carry a Firearm.

    • Q. How do I transfer my concealed handgun license from another county?
    • A. See the section above labeled Procedures for details and fees to Transfer.

    • Q. When should I arrive for my license appointment?
    • A.Please arrive less than 5 minutes prior to your appointment time as they are scheduled close together.

    • Q. My license has expired; do I need to retake handgun safety training?
    • A. No. The renewal process is the same whether or not your license has expired. If your license has been expired for a long time (several years) and you no longer have the expired card, call our office. We can search records and if we still have documentation that you previously had a CHL you can apply as a renewal.

    • Q. Can my handgun safety training expire?
    • A.No, if you provide adequate documentation of training, the time frame does not matter.

    • Q. My license is going to expire within the next few months, does your office send out renewal notices? 
    • A.No, our office no longer sends out renewal notices. It is the responsibility of the individual license holder to be aware of the expiration date of their license.

    • Q. How soon before my expiration date can I renew my license?
    • A. There are no restrictions on how early you can schedule an appointment for renewal. However, a concealed handgun license is valid for four years from the date the license is issued, so the next four years will start from the date we issue the renewal. We recommend you submit a renewal application within 30 to 60 days prior to the expiration date.

    • Q. Do I have to renew in person?
    • A. No, renewal appplications should be submitted by mail. See the Procedure Section above for more details.

    • Q. What will disqualify me from obtaining a concealed handgun license?
    • A. See the Eligibility Requirements Section above.

    • Q. How will I find out if my application was denied or my concealed handgun license was revoked?
    • A.Notices of denial or revocation are sent by certified mail or are personally delivered.